Lost Without Technology

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

So the other day, something major happened to me. *drama*

I dropped my iPhone into the toilet bowl. Of course I rescued it without hesitating because come on, I paid for it with my own money and it wasn't cheap at all.

It worked fairly fine over the next 2 days when. . . fuzzy lines started appearing right at the bottom of my LED screen. It started getting harder to type and the lines started increasing. When I tried to reply whatsapps, I had to type one word, lock and unlock my phone, type the next word and repeat. Sianzzzz.

Finally I couldn't take it any longer and decided to send my phone for repair. Thank God for AppleCare. I went to the Wheelock outlet and they told me it was probably a hardware problem (I didn't dare tell them I dropped it into the toilet bowl cause I wasn't sure if the warranty covers water contact). Then came the bad news. They had to reset my entire phone. Which meant saying goodbye to everything on my phone. I wasn't too upset by it though because prior to sending my phone for repair, I made sure I backed up every important thing to my laptop and iCloud. Then came the biggest shock. It would take 3-5 working days to repair the phone and. . . they don't lend temporary phones. Which meant. . . I would be phone-less for 3-5 days. I felt the tears welling up in my eyes. LOL I feel so pathetic as I type this out.

So for the first day, I relied on FB messenger and iMessage. The next day, I decided to buy a SIM card and used my brother's reservice phone. It's the old school kind that has Snake. Then I found my very first phone, Nokia E63 and just used that instead. I could only call and message people. I was totally cut out from Instagram. I couldn't even take any pictures.

I remember asking Kiwi, "Is Instagram still around? Do people still post pictures?" I even tried getting him to let me log on via his phone but he said no -.- because he couldn't remember his password.

I swear my hands felt so empty without my phone. I even asked Mark if I could just hold his phone for awhile cause it's the same model as mine. I swear, that few seconds felt like heaven.

Then finally on the 3rd day, I received a call from my mother that Apple called my house and that my phone was ready for collection. Best news ever. In the end, they couldn't repair my phone so they just did a 1-for-1 exchange and gave me what I think is a refurbished phone.

I swear technology is extremely evil and addictive. I'm so disappointed with myself at how reliant I am on technology and how hard I find it is to survive without using technology and social media. I mean when I was 6, what did I know about technology. But now, I just totally can't live without it at all.

I seriously need to wake up and get my face out of my phone and focus on more meaningful things.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe