My 21st Birthday Party

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Okay, this is like 1 month late but better late than never right? 

I initially wasn't planning on having a party for my 21st Birthday party but like a month before, my mum asked me if I wanted to have a party at a chalet or something so I said okay lor. Because it was so last minute and my birthday fell on a weekend during the school holidays, there were no chalets available so we just held it at home. I invited only my family and relatives, and close friends. Basically the people that were important to me. 

I spent quite awhile deciding on a theme and finally decided on having a Barbie themed party. It's actually pretty ideal as Barbie's colours are pink and purple and those are my 2 fav colours. 

So anyway, we ordered the food from Stamford Catering, mostly because they were having a promotion whereby delivery was free and also, their food is halal. I highly discourage you from ordering from them though. The person liasing with us was so rude to my mother!! Won't reveal her name though. 

Upon ordering on their website, they said they would call within a day or so to confirm the order. However, the next day, the lady merely sent me an email to confirm the order. Why say on the website that you would call then?? So my mother called them up to ask about the order and to enquire why they said they would call but they didn't. The way the woman spoke to my mum. . . I just can't even. . . 

No wonder people on the forums all said the food is good but their service is awful. Also, they give you the exact number of plates, utensils and cups for the number of guests you order for. Come on, how is that enough? You can't expect people not to throw away their things right? That's just common sense. When my mum asked the lady if we could have extras, the lady said rather rudely that she would put the request down but she doesn't know if they'll do it because it's the other side's problem. 

Whatever that means. . .

Anyway, here's what we ordered. (By the time I decided to take pics, a lot of food was gone already, LOL).

Crunchy Fruit Salad with Sultanas
This tasted so-so? Like normal I guess. LOL.


Signature Curry Chicken with Potatoes
Didn't really bother much with this. I think I only took the potatoes.


Dory Filet in Royal Thai Sauce on Banana Leaf
This tasted not too bad. But. . . where's the banana leaf man??


Crispy Butter Cream Prawn
I don't eat prawns but my mum said it was pretty pathetic.


Vegetarian Oyster Sauce Broccoli w. Mushrooms
I liked this. Well, I like broccoli anyway.


Crystal Jade Tofu with Seasonal Vegetables
I really liked this! But when we had it for dinner, my mum said it smelled bad so we threw the leftovers away. 


Vietnamese Spring Roll with Spicy Peanut Dip
(Didn't take a photo of this but it tasted pretty good. Didn't try the spicy peanut dip though)

Steamed Chwee Kueh
Idk why they force us to order a timsum dish and not let us choose another dessert or something. I didn't bother eating this but my brother said it tasted good. 


Baked Butter Rice w Assorted Hams & Fried Shallot 


Nonya Mee Siam Goreng (Dry)
This s u c k s. Don't bother. It's so dry and there's so mee siam taste to it. 

Chilled Lychee w Mango & Crystal Grass Jelly
(didn't bother taking a picture of this)
I swear it's pathetic. You can't find the mango, lychee or crystal jelly. It's all right at the bottom and it's just filled to the brim with sugar water. Everyone thought it was cheng tng. What a disappointment.

So yeah, up to you if you want to order from Stamford Catering. As for us, we're never ever ordering from them. 

~

 When it comes to parties, I get pretty stressed because I've no idea how to entertain people, make small talk and I'm always scared of the party being boring. #anxietyissues

My godma actually suggested to me to have games but I somehow foresaw that no one would be keen to participate and. . . I had no time to prepare anything.

I had a photobooth area whereby I was supposed to take polaroid pictures with my guests, paste it in my scrapbook and ask them to write things. People kept saying they wanted to write later -.- They ended up forgetting to write lah, wth.

This was my backdrop. I bought the Barbie backdrop from the party shop at Compass Point. It's on the same level as the library. And it costs $19.90.


Closer look at the balloons. They're from the same party shop at CP. They costq around $7.50 each, I think. 


Dug out my old Barbies and Barbie car ^^ People were impressed that I kept all these after so many years. Well, it's thanks to my mum actually. She told me to keep all my Barbie dolls properly and pass them to my daughter(s) in the future. 


Anyway, I was supposed to get a cake at first but my sister was asking me if I wanted her to do anything for my party so I asked her to bake cupcakes, HEHEHE. I love cupcakes and they're much easier to distribute compared to when you have a cake because you'd have to cut it up. 

Asked her to make chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles ^^


One of my cousins had this bright idea of giving me a "21 Gun Salute" but with party poppers. (he was busy on the day in the end).

So after everyone sang Happy Birthday and I blew out the candles, everyone popped the party poppers. Gave me a fright.  And the streamers landed like almost all in the cupcakes, LOL.
 You can see the video at the end of this post. 


Since everyone was gathered there, decided it was the perfect chance to take pictures with everyone. My took all the photos. I asked him to take them because. . . he has a DSLR, LOL. Who doesn't love clear pictures?

First with my family.


Then just my parents alone and just my siblings alone.


My godparents. My godma is my mum's sister and my godpa is my dad's brother.


And here's everyone else. . .


After all these phototaking and cakes were distributed, a lot of people were starting to leave ): So I decided to start doing my pinata thing. 

My pinata was cupcake shaped. Cute right? Btw,  a lot of the decorations were bought by my godmother. She bought everything from the Verge at Little India. 

So, I stuffed the pinata with Kuti-Kuti, sweets, chocs, lollipops, chapteh, toy soldiers and extra party poppers. 


Asked my youngest cousin to be the guinea pig and try hitting the pinata first, LOL.


Btw, I was feeling damn dizzy my sister kept spinning me round and round damn fast. Until I nearly fell on her because I was too dizzy to balance, LOL.


Hehehe I got so tired of hitting after awhile that I just ripped the pinata apart with my bare hands ^^

By around 6pm, everyone had left and I could finally relax. I felt so tired and my voice was barely there. 

Oh yeah, check out my evil face while opening a present from Laura's mum.

"Oooh, this ribbon is so difficult to untie."


"My precioussssssssss". 
Yeah, it was what I've wanted for more than 4 years. A MBMJ wallet (:


Because everyone had left, I was free to take pictures with all my decorations. This is sorta how my front porch looked like. Just hung some streamers and balloons. 


My nail stickers. I REALLY REALLY HATE NAIL STICKERS.
I just can't seem to apply nail stickers properly. They don't fit my nail properly and it's so hard to buff the edges. They end up being so sharp and just keep cutting my face and neck -.-


My loots ^^


If you were wondering how I did  my Barbie inspired makeup, here's the video. Skip forward to 4:37 to watch the Happy Birthday singing part. 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I really want to thank everyone for taking time off from their busy schedules to celebrate my special day with me. I know a lot of y'all had to rush back to work, etc, but I really appreciate you coming. I also appreciate every single gift. I love each and everyone of them and I will certainly put them to good use. 

I also want to thank my parents for producing such a wonderful offspring as myself *cough* and also for footing the bill for everything. I really really appreciate it. Thank you for doing so much and sacrificing so much for me over the past 21 years. I love the both of you even though I don't show it much or say it. I really mean it. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Looks like you celebrated your 21st birthday in style since the party seems to be very enjoyable in the pictures. Though I guess the food wasn’t all that good. I’m also planning a party for my birthday next week. Friends are helping me out with the preparations, and I’m lucky to have found a nice and affordable party space at the venue NYC that a friend recommended.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe